Friday, January 20, 2012

Welcome! :-*

Thank you for dropping by my new blog!  Please, make yourself comfortable!  

I've created this blog to note the differences between needle and shuttle tatting as well as to share my experiences in the learning of both methods.

I am still learning both in many ways though I have been needle tatting for nearly two years.  Shuttle tatting didn't 'click' for me until maybe a month ago --and definitely not for lack of trying, shuttles just didn't want to cooperate with me.  For that reason, I am glad that I learned needle tatting first.  Had I have started with shuttle, I would not have fought on as long.  Having learned the needle already, my understand of tatting was better and, when the shuttles had me completely discouraged, I could pick up a needle and create something to give myself a boost of reassurance.  

Why did I start with the needle?
  Well, that's an easy one... I knew nothing of what I was getting into at the time.  I saw tatted pieces online and thought they were absolutely beautiful, so I wanted to learn.  When it same time for ordering supplies, the stingy side of me kicked in and six needles for their price versus the price of two shuttles compelled me to buy the needles ...ya know, with one ball of size 20 thread and one of size 30.  O.o I tend to research everything to death and I don't know why that didn't apply to that first purchase. 


Since I don't want to ramble on and on, I'm going to close this with what I think would be the perfect tatter starter kit (and I could be wrong --remember, this is all just opinion based upon my own experiences). 
  • One shutle
  • One needle (size 5 or 7 --if the set is cheaper than the single, though, buy the set.  With needle tatting, the needle should match the thread in circumference which is why they come in different sizes --I didn't know that when I started and thought I was going to have a back-up just in case I broke one --or four.  With needles, the smaller the number, the bigger the needle.  Don't go above 5 unless you plan on going with really thick thread.).  ;-)
  • A ball of thread in a light color.  Size 10 might be best for beginning because of how big it is (smaller the number, the bigger the thread), but size 20 is most commonly used, so I would suggest diving right in and ordering size 20.  If you feel too uncomfortable with the size, then go to your local dollar store and buy some cheap twine or anything else that mimics thread --remember, the learning stages are more about becoming comfortable with the actions as opposed to creating perfection.  Once you get the actions down with the cheap stuff, try it again with the thread. 
  • A ball of thread in a dark color.  This is especially important when you go to utilize the shuttle.  This thread should be the same size as the light colored one --if you're doing dollar store stuff to learn, just make sure it's a different color.  When learning shuttle tatting, two colors will help you greatly.  With needle tatting, it's easier to learn to work off the ball first, so color variation won't matter, however, no matter which method you choose or feel most comfortable with, stitches will always be more easily seen in lighter colors.
  • A crochet hook --size 10 seems perfect to me... I wouldn't go much smaller until you get to beading --those 14s and 15s are nasty little devils!  (Some shuttles have a hook --they are wonderful, but having a separate hook will help, too, especially in the beginning.).
  • Scissors.  You should have these on hand, but make sure you have a pair that won't fray the thread too much.  With both needle and shuttle, there's usually a hole through which you will feed your thread --you don't want to go insane or separate the strands with dull scissors, it will just make you crazy.  This will also make 'tatting over ends' a lot easier. ;-)

Okay, okay... I'm sure there's more, but this is getting very, very long and I'm sure that not even one reader will make it through all of that, so I shall bid you a fond farewell until next time (tomorrow, I hope!). :-*

Love and Happy Tatting to all!


♥,
Stephanie Grace

2 comments:

  1. I have been tatting for 20+ years on and off. Back when I started I struggled to find even a shuttle, let alone instructions to begin, and all because I wanted a tatted cross bookmark. thanks to Dover Publications I found what I wanted and perserved with their limited shuttle directions in the back of the book. and the rest is history.
    all the information now available on the internet has made it so easy to learn different methods and stitches
    keep up the good work it is well worth the time and effort

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, Stephanie. I learned the shuttle first, but I also learned to tat with the needle. I look forward to following this blog.

    ReplyDelete